Since the last newsletter there have been several Microsoft system and software updates. We recommend that you keep your system and software up to date both for integrity and security reasons. Key updates in this category are as follows:
1) Office XP Service Pack 1 and 2. These must be applied in order as SP-2 is NOT cumulative. These updates require the Office XP install CD. These updates may be downloaded from: Office XP Service Pack 1: http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2002/oxpsp1.aspx Office XP Service Pack 2: http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2002/oxpsp2.aspx Note that these updates correct the Outlook 2002 bug that prevented it from being used as an e-mail client with the Penn State mail servers.
2) Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 may be downloaded from: http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/servicepacks/sp3/default.asp Please read the install instructions carefully. This Service Pack is cumulative and you do not need to install Service Pack 1 or 2 before installing Service Pack 3.
3) Windows XP Service Pack 1This may be ordered from Microsoft on CD for about $13 or downloaded (104MB) from: http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/downloads/servicepacks/sp1/default.asp Please read the Release Notes and Install instructions carefully.
All of the above updates and other system and product updates and service packs download URL’s are available at the ITS/ASET/GeaRS Web page: http://ftp.aset.psu.edu/pub/ger/documents/Where95&NT.htm#SystemUpdates Also see various sections there on special topics like MS Office Tools and Conversion Issues, Tutorials, and Document Recovery.
4) Windows Critical (Security) Updates should be applied on a regular basis. This may be done by connecting to the Internet and using Internet Explorer menu item: Tools/Windows Update and choosing: Critical Updates.
5) Antivirus Virus Definition Files should be updated on at least a bi-weekly basis. For Norton Antivirus 2002 Corporate Edition distributed on the PAC-ITS CD available at the ITS Help Desks, after connecting to the Internet right-click the Norton Antivirus icon in the system try and choose Open Norton Antivirus. Click the top left-hand shield icon titled: Norton Antivirus Corporate Editon, and then click the Live Update button to start this update.