Senate Policy:  58-50, Conditions for Re-enrollment as a Degree Candidate


Former students wishing to re-enroll must complete a re-enrollment request form available at any campus Registrar’s office or on the Web at www.registrar.psu.edu. The completed form and the non-refundable re-enrollment application fee are to be returned to the Registrar’s office at the campus where the student wishes to enroll.

The campus Registrar will first use screen ARISBD before recording the re-enrollment request. This inquiry screen will provide an early answer to the student’s re-enrollment request by indicating whether the request will be immediately approved or forwarded to the appropriate college for further consideration.

The campus Registrar will record the re-enrollment request on screen ARUSBE and deposit the application fee following approved cash handling procedures. Students eligible for re-enrollment according to Senate Policy will receive a re-enrollment confirmation from the campus Registrar. All other students will receive notification that their request is being reviewed by the appropriate college or DUS. After the college or DUS notifies the Registrar’s office of its decision, the Registrar’s office notifies the student of the decision.

Students are always expected to meet with their designated academic adviser or appropriate advising center personnel to plan a course of study before registration. In some cases re-enrolled students must also obtain academic advice from their college regarding program requirements and future entrance to major.

Colleges may request the Registrar’s office to automatically place a registration hold after the re-enrollment request has been approved to insure that proper advising occurs. A registration hold will prevent the student from registering for courses but will not impede the re-enrollment process.

The re-enrollment process allows a student to request a campus other than the campus of last enrollment, provided that the student’s requested major is offered at the requested campus. If the re-enrollment is approved, the new campus location is also approved. All requested changes to the University Park Campus automatically result in a Dean’s review.

A former Penn State student who has attended another accredited college or university must arrange to have a transcript sent to the Undergraduate Admissions Office. The external transcript will be evaluated and appropriate credits will be added to the Penn State record.

Non-degree conditional students desiring to return to degree status must be reinstated. See policy I-2.

Special accommodations are extended to adult learners. An adult learner does not need to re-enroll if:

(a) The period of non-enrollment has been less than three years, and;

(b) The major has been authorized by the academic college to be eligible for this accommodation. Those programs that have been authorized are on the Web at www.registrar.psu.edu.

If an adult learner satisfies these two conditions but withdrew from the last enrolled semester, re-enrollment is not required, however, the campus registrar must contact the University Registrar’s office so that the registration will be permitted for the student.

If an adult learner is seeking re-enrollment into a different major, the normal rules of re-enrollment apply.

Senate Policy:  58-50, Conditions for Re-enrollment as a Degree Candidate

Approved: ACUI (11-16-78)
Revised: ACUE (7-30-97)
Revised: ACUE (8-4-05)

The University may make changes in policies, procedures, educational offerings, and requirements at any time. Please consult a Penn State academic adviser for more detailed information. Penn State is an affirmative action, equal opportunity university.