1. All formal requests for academic program phase-out are forwarded to the Vice President and Dean for Undergraduate Education by the appropriate college dean along with supporting documentation. [In this context, academic program is defined as a major and not an option or a minor. P-6 does not apply to IUG programs unless the major itself is being phased out.]
2. The decision to consider the request of the college dean is made in consultation with the Provost. In the event that the Provost considers the documentation insufficient, the request is returned to the college dean. If the Provost decides the information is complete and the request should be considered, the Vice President transmits the request and supporting documentation to the University Faculty Senate Chair.
3. Upon receipt of the request and related documentation, the Senate Chair forwards the material to the Senate Council for review and recommendation. The Council should have at least sixty (60) but no more than (90) days to complete its review and report to the Senate.
4. The Senate Council reviews the procedures used by the college in reaching its recommendation and determines whether a) there has been consultation with personnel responsible for academic programs that are affected; b) consideration has been given to effects on students, tenured and untenured faculty, and the community; and c) appropriate organizational units of the University have been consulted. In all cases of requests involving instruction, including associate degree programs, the Senate Committee on Curricular Affairs will be consulted. In all cases, other standing committees of the Senate will be consulted as appropriate.
5. After the review is completed, the Senate Council transmits a report and recommendation to the Vice President and Dean for Undergraduate Education and so informs the Senate.
6. Following receipt of the Senate report and the recommendation in consultation with the Provost, the Vice President acts on the request of the college dean.
7. The Vice President informs the college dean, the President, the Board of Trustees, and the Senate Executive Secretary whenever a decision is made to phase-out an academic program.
(Ref: Senate Agenda, 5-5-81, Appendix I)
NOTE: This procedure is used for complete program phase-out from University offerings. If a program is to be phased out only at particular locations, procedures in Section P-3 should be followed. The placement of a hold on entrance to a major is viewed as the initial action in academic program phase-out and must be accompanied by a formal request to the Vice President and Dean for Undergraduate Education.
Approved: Provost Eddy (11-28-78)
Revised: Provost Eddy (9-21-82)
Revised: Provost Brighton (8-26-96)
Revised: ACUE (9-2-04)
Revised: Editorial (4-18-06)
Revised: Editorial (5-11-12)