Welcome Week 2014
Welcome Week features more than 100 programs designed to introduce new students to their Penn State home.
- Signature events at University Park include the President's New Student Convocation, which marks the beginning of the new academic year and is the official welcome to the University academic community. This event, which is required for first-year students, is scheduled for 7:45 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 23, at the Bryce Jordan Center. The convocation also will be streamed live here.
- This year, the University is giving away T-shirts to all first-year students at all campuses for Welcome Week events. The shirts are color-coded for the colleges, which makes it easy to spot another colleague on campus, perhaps within the same major, and is a way to bring the class together and allow students to meet one another. At University Park, students are asked to wear their shirts to the New Student Convocation.
Distribution of Penn State T-shirts at University Park will take place in East Halls, Pollock and the HUB-Robeson Center from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 22; and from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 23.
- College Dean’s Meetings on Sunday, Aug. 24, are required for all new students including first-year, change-of-campus, and transfer students. Arrival Day activities on Saturday, Aug. 23, are required for new, first-year students and include dinner, the President’s New Student Convocation, President’s Reception, and LateNight.
- The first LateNight also kicks off at 9 p.m. at the HUB-Robeson Center, and includes comedy, crafts, novelty acts and more.
A President's Reception is scheduled for 9 p.m. Aug. 23 in Alumni Hall of the HUB-Robeson Center, for students to meet President Eric Barron.
- Be A Part From The Start begins at 8 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 24, in Rec Hall. Hosted by the Lion Ambassadors and featuring the Blue Band, members of athletic squads, cheerleaders, the dance team and the Nittany Lion, the event will enable students to learn the Alma Mater, fight songs and Penn State traditions. No bag policy will be enforced.
- The Involvement Fair runs from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Aug. 25, through Thursday, Aug. 28, to enable students to connect with student organizations, campus resources, community service and volunteer opportunities, and Fraternity and Sorority Life.
- Welcome Week ends on Saturday, Aug. 30, with the Fresh START Day of Service, from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. The event, which begins with breakfast at Alumni Hall in the HUB-Robeson Center, gives first-year, change-of-campus and transfer students an opportunity to meet new people and get involved in their new community. Students can sign up here.