Search: People | Departments | Penn State


Degree-seeking students admitted to the University as first-year students may begin at one of twenty Penn State campuses. All campuses provide the basic courses required of first- and second-year students.

Students generally declare their academic majors at the end of their second year of enrollment. Not all majors can be completed at each campus. Students are informed of the campus(es) at which each major may be completed. If a student declares a major that is not offered at the student's current campus, the student will be required to change to an approved campus.

Will a student need to remain at one campus for four years? Will a student be required to change from one campus to another? In many cases, that's up to the student. Many students attend one campus for their first two years of study, then relocate to finish their degree. Others remain at one campus throughout their Penn State experience. Either path allows you to take full advantage of all that Penn State has to offer, and you can choose a learning environment that meets your needs.

The specific timing of when a student changes his or her campus depends on the student's major. Usually, this change of campus will occur at the end of a student's second year of enrollment. If a student is required to change earlier, he or she will be informed by his or her academic college. A student who wants to remain at his or her current campus beyond two years must initiate the request with the campus representative.

A student may want to change his or her campus earlier. Such requests are considered, but limited by course and enrollment availability at the desired campus. Students at campuses other than University Park may initiate an early campus change by contacting their campus representative. Students at University Park initiate an early campus change by contacting their academic college or Division of Undergraduate Studies.


The process followed by most students is outlined in this document. Students should direct questions about their individual academic situations to their academic adviser and identify specific deadlines for a given year.

Academic Guidelines

I. First year through fall of sophomore year – Explore and clarify your choice of major

  1. Work with your academic adviser to clarify or change your choice of major. Major alternatives should be chosen carefully to accurately reflect your interests and abilities.
    1. Identify assigned academic adviser on eLion (Adviser Information)
    2. Work with advising center on your campus to make changes -
  2. Learn and fulfill the Entrance to Major requirements for your chosen major -
  3. December of sophomore year: You’ll receive an e-mail or letter from your academic college, describing the Entrance to Major process.

II. Spring of sophomore year – Confirm your choice of major

  1. Confirm your choice of major through the Entrance to Major process
    1. January through mid-February: confirm major choices on eLion
    2. Early March: receive entrance to major decision e-mail
  2. In most cases, change of major and change of campus both occur through the Entrance to Major process
    1. If accepted into major, change of major will be completed effective for the summer semester
    2. If accepted into major that must be completed at a different campus, change of campus will be completed effective for the fall semester. However, students can register for Summer Session courses at any campus.

On-Campus Housing Guidelines

If you are considering a Change of Campus to another Penn State campus for 2015-2016 and are interested in living on campus, read on for important information about how to obtain housing. Penn State offers on-campus housing at Altoona, Beaver, Behrend, Berks, Harrisburg, Hazleton, Greater Allegheny, Mont Alto, and University Park. For Schuylkill, contact the Housing Office at 570-385-6104.

  • If your Change of Campus has not been approved yet, or you have not started the process, and you are considering living on campus, you must participate in the eLiving Housing Contract process. If applicable, apply to both your current campus of enrollment and the campus at which you intend to enroll. Otherwise, you will NOT be eligible for the initial selection for on-campus housing and will only be able to be added to the Waitlist at a later date.
  • You can submit a Housing Contract request until January 22, 2015 at noon. The request process is not first-come, first-served, but a random lottery.
  • Contract Offers will be made between December 1, 2014 at 5:00 p.m. and January 29, 2015 at 5:00 p.m. until all available space has been allocated. Not all students who submit a request will receive an offer.
  • If you receive a Housing Contract offer for your current residential campus (if applicable) and another campus, accept BOTH offers. When your change-of-campus process is finalized, you will be able to cancel the Housing Contract at the campus you are not attending with no financial penalty.
  • If you participate in the process, but do not receive a housing offer, your name will automatically be added to the Waitlist.
  • If you do NOT participate in the process, but are interested in housing after the process ends, you may add your name to the Waitlist after February 6, 2015 at noon. There is no guarantee that by adding your name to the waitlist that you will receive an offer.

Additional information regarding living on campus is available at It is important to note that on-campus housing is not guaranteed for any student. In addition, securing housing at another campus does not improve chances of being accepted into your major for the change-of-campus process.

Off-Campus Housing

Information regarding off-campus housing opportunities at University Park is available at Information for off-campus housing at other Penn State campuses can be found by contacting the Student Life office at each campus. Visit for a listing of campus websites.

Change-of-Campus Logo

Upcoming Events

Visit University Park
Penn State students who are attending one of the 19 Penn State Commonwealth Campuses and participating in the 2+2 program with plans to attend Penn State University Park to finish their degree are invited to visit the University Park Campus during a designated visit day.
Reservations are required.
If you have questions specific to your major, we suggest you make an appointment with your academic college/department. When visiting with the academic college/department, you should arrange for your visit to either end by 10:00 a.m. so you can be in Shields Building by 10:30 a.m. for the tour, or for the college visit to begin after 12:30 p.m.