Team # 488 -- Penn State Travel Services Online
Finance and Business
ObjectivePenn State Travel Services has implemented an on-line self-booking travel system that allows faculty and staff to book their own business and leisure travel. The on-line service also allows travel arrangers to book travel for faculty, staff and visitors to Penn State. This service searches for lowest fares through the traditional airline tariffs and on eight airline Web sites. Travel Services On-line also provides emailing services to notify travelers of flight delays, cancellations and gate assignments. All reservations are ticketed in Travel Services, providing contact with travel coordinators as needed.
- Marguerite Gustkey, Member
- Mary Jane Smith, Member
Results Achieved to Date
- They hope to increase customer satisfaction, reduce costs and save time. They can document savings per ticket transaction both through airfare savings and surface fees. The surface fee is $6.00 through on line booking versus $28.00 using a travel agent downtown.
- Volume discount contracts with United and Northwest airlines: Annual savings over lowest available fare are $334,000/year
- Average domestic airline ticket cost for Penn State ranges from $25-$35 per ticket less than the national average for business travel. International tickets average over $800/ticket less than the national average.
- Penn State participated in a Big Ten Conference Consortium agreement with National Car Rental for annual savings of over $210,000 per year.
Office of Planning and Institutional Assessment
The Pennsylvania State University
502 Rider Building
University Park, PA 16802-4819
Phone: (814) 863-8721
Fax: (814) 863-7031
Copyright 2006-2013 The Pennsylvania State University
Questions regarding web issues, please contact email@example.com