Team # 766 -- Women in Materials Science and Engineering Task Force
Earth and Mineral Sciences
ObjectiveEvaluate the environment within the department as it pertains to women employees, students and faculty.
- Elizabeth Dickey, Leader
- Long Chen, Member
- Theresa Foley, Member
- Chris Muhlstein, Member
- Hyeran Noh, Member
- Jennifer Ray-Sloppy, Member
- Kathy Spicer, Member
- Susan Trolier-McKinstry, Member
Results Achieved to Date
- ExpectedResults: The establishment of an Ombudsperson. The task force also made recommendations to establish and publicize a departmental statement emphasizing that the Materials Dept. embraces gender, racial and cultural diversity in our community.
Recommended that a more thorough graduate orientation be offered for incoming students, and a peer mentoring program for graduate students be developed.
Lastly, recommended that better mechanisms for graduate student communication be reviewed.
- Results from Elizabeth Dickey 7/14/09:
We implemented the following changes in response to the task force recommendations:
1. Created an ombudsman position in the department. http://www.matse.psu.edu/ombud/ombudsperson.html
2. Created a graduate student directory: http://www.matse.psu.edu/people/grads.html
3. Developed a more thorough graduate orientation that addresses diversity and sexual harassment and provides social functions to promote interactions among students and faculty.
4. Developed a peer mentoring program for new graduate students
5. Added a section in the department’s Graduate Handbook on Code of Conduct/Climate Issues
6. The exit surveys for both undergraduate and graduate students are currently being evaluated to ensure that we have a continuous mechanism for getting feedback from our graduates on diversity and climate issues.
Office of Planning and Institutional Assessment
The Pennsylvania State University
502 Rider Building
University Park, PA 16802-4819
Phone: (814) 863-8721
Fax: (814) 863-7031
Copyright 2006-2014 The Pennsylvania State University
Questions regarding web issues, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org