| The Challenge:
To Reduce the Cost Associated with Benefits Enrollment
Every Fall, Penn State employees make choices
about their employee benefits regarding medical insurance, life insurance
and flexible benefits. For years, the process involved printing and
mailing forms and guides. Each employee received a thick envelope
of information and was asked to complete the many forms and return
them for processing.
Solution: Online Benefits Enrollment
The new system allowed:
- Over 14,000 employees to participate more efficiently
in the benefits open enrollment process each year
- A cost savings of over $70,000 per year by placing
benefits enrollment online
- Accurate and expedient enrollment since information
is entered directly online by employee
- Confidentiality since employees enter their own
- Benefits staff have more time to assist employees
rather than processing forms
a new system always requires careful planning
The team used several methods to educate employees about the change:
the Penn State Employment Benefits Online:
- Articles in the University newspaper, the Intercom,
and department and college newsletters.
- Training for Human Resource Representatives and
- Letters and postcards sent to each employee.
- Online access via computers at employee benefits
fairs and during the open enrollment period.
- Requests for employee comments and feedback to continue
to improve the online benefits system.