II. Academic Policies

Dispute Resolution

If a faculty member believes that there has been a violation of academic freedom, professional ethics, or procedural fairness, he or she should discuss the alleged violation with his or her department head or director of academic affairs. Each college and campus also has an ombudsman, whose responsibilities are to enhance communication and clarify possible misunderstandings in situations involving potential disputes, to advise faculty members and administrators about appropriate courses of action, and to help settle matters before they develop into serious disputes.

Disputes that cannot be resolved through normal channels of administrative responsibility and procedure may be taken to the University Faculty Senate Committee on Faculty Rights and Responsibilities. For further details about this procedure and about the duties of ombudsmen, see University Policy HR-76, "Faculty Rights and Responsibilities."