Fees and Funding
Small investment. Galaxy-sized returns.
You pay travel, meals, and a small tuition fee. Grants fund the rest. You can't afford not to apply!
Grants from NASA, the Pennsylvania Space Grant Consortium, the National Science Foundation, and other supporters provide all participants with the following:
- The majority of your tuition bill
(tuition/fees = $1582 for in-state, $2642 for out-of-state)
- Private room at the Days Inn adjacent to Penn State, and parking
NO housing is provided at Penn State Abington for Astrobiology for Educators, commuters encouraged.
- All materials and supplies for workshop activities
- Educational materials to take back to your classroom
- Monday breakfast and Thursday group dinner with other workshop participants
- Travel to/from Penn State
- $30 graduate application fee (only for new participants)
- $300 (in-state), $500 (out-of-state) tuition fee
- Housing (Astrobiology for Educators workshop at Penn State Abington ONLY)
The Value of a Summer Science Workshop
|Workshop Service:||Grants Cover:|
|Tuition & Fees for
PSU graduate course
|$1282 (in-state), $2142 (out-of-state)|
|Private room at the Days Inn and Parking||$500|
|Educational Materials and Supplies||$300-$500 (depending on workshop)|
|Content Instruction by Scientists|
|Total value provided by sponsors:
~$3000 in-state (~$4000 out-of-state)
|Workshop Service:||Your Cost|
|Tuition Fee||$300 (PA), $500 (non-PA)|
|Travel and Meal Costs||TBD by you|
|Total cost to participants:
$300/$500 + Travel + Meals
Once you are accepted into one of the workshops, you will be asked to pay a tuition fee ($300 for PA residents, $500 for non-PA residents) within two weeks of your acceptance to confirm your seat in the class (payable by check or credit card).
By registering for the class you agree to complete the following course requirements:
- Complete all pre-course work
- Attend all 5 days of the workshop
- Complete daily formative and summative evaluations
- Participate in post-course teleconferences/emails
- Incorporate workshop materials/content into your current classroom curriculum
If you cancel your registration or fail to complete the course, your pre-paid tuition fee will be forfeited.
Workshops are brought to you by the generous support and efforts of the following organizations.
- NASA's Pennsylvania Space Grant Consortium
- National Science Foundation
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- NASA Astrobiology Institute
- Penn State Astrobiology Research Center
- NASA SWIFT Satellite Project
- Eberly College of Science
- College of Earth and Mineral Sciences
- Penn State
- Center for Science and the Schools
Definitely the best professional experience ever.
Access to scholars and other professionals in a variety of fields made the learning authentic and valuable.
Anonymous 2009 Workshop Participant