History

Agricultural College of Pennsylvania Campus photo from 1875 showing barns in the foreground with Old Main in the background

Members of today’s Board of Trustees share a long history with those who served before them, starting with the original Board in 1855. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania chartered Penn State at that time, setting up the thirteen-member structure of the Board. Penn State’s history is a part of daily life at the University, as the solid educational foundation of academics and research that was built in the 1800s with the help of the Board continues to grow, expanding the knowledge of generation after generation. View the Board of Trustees History Site >