Public Expression Guidelines
Effective September 2012, changes were made to the Standing Orders, Order VIII., providing for the expression of public views at the regular meetings of the Board of Trustees.
- Requests to Address the Board: The Board welcomes the opportunity for expression of public views on issues before the Board. A portion of its regular meeting is reserved for individuals who wish to address the Board. All persons wishing to speak must preregister by completing a Request to Address form and submit it to the Office of the Secretary of the Board of Trustees no later than 48 hours before the start of the meeting (typically, Wednesday, at 1:30 p.m., 48 hours before Friday meeting at 1:30 p.m.). The Secretary will review this request and notify the person making the request whether he/she may give public comment at the upcoming meeting.
- Time Allocation: Up to thirty minutes will be allowed for public comment/questions per meeting. An individual speaker will be permitted up to three minutes for a presentation. This will be strictly adhered to with assistance of a timekeeper. Thus, a maximum of ten speakers will be scheduled for each Board meeting.
- Scheduling of Speakers: When the number of requests to address the Board at a given session exceeds the time available, requests will be approved based on the date the written request was received by the Secretary of the Board. In addition, preference will be given to subject matters that relate to the agenda for the current Board meeting and avoid repetition.
- Topics Permitted: Current agenda items and other topics. The Board will not hear presentations or entertain questions on the following topics: issues under negotiation as part of the University's collective bargaining process; the employment status of any specific individual; statements concerning the private activities, lifestyles or beliefs of individuals employed by or associated with the University; grievances of individual students or employees; proposals or bids for contracts; or pending or threatened litigation involving the University.
- Important Dates: As soon as available (approximately 5 business days in advance of a regularly scheduled meeting), an agenda of items to be considered will be available for public review. The Request to Address form will be available at that same time. All persons wishing to speak must preregister by completing a Request to Address form and submitting it to the Office of the Secretary of the Board of Trustees no later than 48 hours before the start of the meeting (typically, Wednesday, at 1:30 p.m., 48 hours before Friday meeting at 1:30 p.m.). Deadlines will be posted in advance for each regularly scheduled meeting.
|Date of Meeting||Agenda List/
Request to Address Form Available
|Date Request Due in Board Office|
|Friday, July 12, 2013||Friday, July 5, 2013||Wednesday, July 10, 2013; 1:30 p.m. Eastern|
|Friday, September 20, 2013||Friday, September 13, 2013||Wednesday, September 18, 2013; 1:30 p.m. Eastern|
|Friday, November 22, 2013||Friday, November 15, 2013||Wednesday, November 20, 2013; 1:30 p.m. Eastern|