Penn State Live..
Guidelines for submitting information
These are general guidelines for the submission of material for the Faculty/Staff Newswire and the Penn State Arts and Entertainment Newswire. All material is subject to review and editing. Final decisions for inclusion of an item rests with the editorial staff. Items not listed here will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
For photo submission guidelines, click here.
Intercom general information
Intercom ceased publication on Feb. 7, 2005. Most of the information that used to appear in Intercom now is published only in the Faculty/Staff Newswire and on Penn State Live. Information about arts and entertainment events is published on the Arts and Entertainment Newswire.
Newswire/Live general information
The following guidelines deal with information for publication in the Faculty/Staff Newswire, the Penn State Arts and Entertainment Newswire and Penn State Live.
All information should be sent in the body of an e-mail – not as an attachment -- to Live@psu.edu by noon on the deadline day.
• The Faculty/Staff Newswire is published Monday morning on the University Park campus. Deadline for that edition is noon the preceding Friday.
• The Faculty/Staff Newswire is published University-wide on Thursday morning, with a deadline of noon Wednesday.
• The Penn State Arts and Entertainment Newswire is published on Wednesday, with a deadline of noon Tuesday.
Due to the volume of information received, hard copy or faxed material will not be accepted for publication unless the sender does not have access to e-mail. In most cases items will be published only once per semester. The Faculty/Staff Newswire and the Penn State Arts and Entertainment Newswire will print announcements of events that occur on the date of publication, provided that the registration deadline for the event has not passed.
The Faculty/Staff Newswire and the Penn State Arts and Entertainment Newswire also do not print:
• Information of a commercial nature.
• Lectures given by faculty or staff at another institution that are not part of a national or international conference.
As a rule, events covered by the Faculty/Staff Newswire and the Penn State Arts and Entertainment Newswire take place on a Penn State campus. Certain events that are not held on a Penn State campus also may be covered, including but not limited to:
• Events that are part of a larger conference or event that is taking place on a Penn State campus will be included in the overall coverage of that event.
• Major town-gown initiatives with a strong Penn State component will be covered, even if they do not take place on a Penn State campus.
• Other outreach activities taking place in the community may be covered at the discretion of the editor.
• Book or poetry readings and book signings by faculty, staff, students or administrators will not be covered, regardless of the location of the event.
News of appointments will continue to be published on the Faculty/Staff Newswire, with links to appointment stories (with photo when appropriate) on Penn State Live. "Acting" or interim appointments of individuals who will oversee campuses, colleges, academic departments or larger units will be used.
Arts and Entertainment:
Advance information about upcoming events, concerts, exhibits, recitals, film festivals and theatre productions will be published in the Arts and Entertainment Newswire. Other events will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Photos will be accepted. Student recitals will not be included.
The Faculty/Staff Newswire runs a listing that includes name, title, college or unit for which the individual works and the Penn State location, with a link to the photos on Penn State Live. Information and photos for 25-year awards are submitted by human resources representatives or by communicators in those units.
Penn State Live publishes awards stories for employees who:
1. make significant contributions in areas such as the arts or music;
2. receive such awards as Guggenheim or NATO fellowships;
3. receive any statewide or national award from associations or organizations, which may warrant a longer story than Penn Stater mention;
4. win staff and faculty recognition awards from campuses, colleges and larger units, such as Graduate School or C&DE. Departmental awards will not be included; or
5. earn teaching awards from colleges or campuses.
The Faculty/Staff Newswire prints basic information about the recipients of the above awards, with links to the full stories (and photos if appropriate) on Penn State Live.
The Faculty/Staff Newswire does not use alumni awards from campuses, colleges or departments. The Alumni Fellow award is the only alumni award to be used.
Click here for coverage guidelines for the various Fulbright awards.
Information will be published about employees who have written or edited a book. Information submitted should include author's name and title; book title; publisher; and short description of the book's contents. The book must be published before these are used on the Faculty/Staff Newswire. Information in the Faculty/Staff Newswire will include the author or editor's name, the title of the book and the publisher, with a link to the remaining information on Penn State Live.
News of vanity press and Internet books will be published on a case-by-case basis.
Upcoming lectures will be published and a photo used when appropriate and if available. Lectures that are part of a conference or event that is being held on campus as well as off, or major lectures sponsored by a Penn State unit that are held off-campus, may be included.
The Faculty/Staff Newswire will publish obituary information for all active and past employees, based on information received from the Office of Human Resources. Detailed information regarding the person's Penn State career will be considered for publication, upon verification by the Office of Human Resources. Obituary information for current and former members of the Board of Trustees or other individuals with significant ties to Penn State also will be run. Photos may be included when available.
The Faculty/Staff Newswire will publish announcements of partings for all employees with at least 10 years of service or emeritus rank. Listings of those with more than 25 years of service or with emeritus rank will refer to full stories with photos — both supplied by the employee's unit — on Penn State Live. The Faculty/Staff Newswire and Penn State Live will continue to accept/publish special circumstances, interest stories and articles on unusual departures or retirements such as emeritus rank, distinguished scholar, etc.
Penn Stater items are published for employees who:
1. receive a national honor (examples: appointment to a prestigious national committee, awards for outstanding papers, special awards from a professional society, etc.);
2. are elected to office in a nationally recognized society or organization;
3. are elected fellows of a nationally recognized society;
4. are appointed editor-in-chief of a journal;
5. presented papers at an international meeting;
6. are invited plenary/keynote speakers at an international or national meeting;
7. are selected as visiting scholars;
8. make significant contributions in areas such as the arts or music, which may not fit under the above categories;
9. serve on a panel at an international meeting;
10. win any statewide or national award from associations; or
11. are named distinguished alumnus/alumna by an educational institution.
12. present Congressional testimony.
The Faculty/Staff Newswire does not publish items on lectures at other institutions that are not part of a national or international conference; or the receipt of an honorary doctorate degree.
Listings of the names of staff and technical service employees, their new titles and campus location are included on Penn State Live unless the Faculty/Staff Newswire staff is notified of an employee's wish not to be listed. Notification will be included in the Faculty/Staff Newswire when promotion listings are published on Penn State Live. Promotion listings come from the Office of Human Resources.
Research stories must be written in news style, preferably by a writer from Public Information. Stories from communicators within the colleges are acceptable, but must meet editorial standards. Stories should be of general interest to Intercom and Faculty/Staff Newswire readers and be current.
Research News in Brief stories selected for publication are edited heavily to fit the format.
Other areas for inclusion:
• Special events: Events or programs related to diversity; photos are welcome. Information about events should be provided to the Faculty/Staff Newswire staff before the event is held, in accordance with the Faculty/Staff Newswire's deadlines. Any plans for special days, such as Martin Luther King Jr. holiday or celebrations of Black History Month, should be submitted well in advance of normal deadlines. Penn State Live generally tries to do a roundup listing of this type of event. Events of unusual magnitude, such as presidential visits, will be included on a case-by-case basis. Photos of significant events may be submitted with 24 hours of the event, for consideration for use in Penn State Live's Still Life section. Advance notice of such events is requested for planning purposes.
• Special features/Outreach and service: Stories on interesting faculty/staff. (ie. those with unusual jobs, hobbies, volunteer work); or programs that show how Penn State is fulfilling its mission, may be included in the Faculty/Staff Newswire and Penn State Live. Stories about significant books will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
• News Stories: Programs, upcoming events, etc. All news of this nature should be submitted in advance of the event, in keeping with the Faculty/Staff Newswire's deadlines, so that it can be promoted in advance. Events that are newsworthy or are particularly visual in nature may be covered after the fact as well on the Faculty/Staff Newswire and in Penn State Live's Still Life section. Same-day events may be used on the Faculty/Staff Newswire.
Submit copy to Live@psu.edu. For the list of publication dates and deadlines, click here.