Centre Furnace
In 1855, Centre Furnace co-owner James Irvin gave 200 acres of adjacent land as the site for what would become The Pennsylvania State University. Irvin’s gift turned out to be the decisive factor in the Board of Trustees’ statewide search for a location for their fledgling agricultural college. Today, furnace stack has been restored and the Centre County Historical Society has its headquarters in Centre Furnace mansion, once occupied by Irvin’s brother-in-law and furnace co-owner Moses Thompson.