President Atherton's Grave
George W. Atherton (1837 -1906) served as Penn State’s president for 24 years, beginning in 1882. He is often called the University’s “second founder” because he took a college that was on the brink of financial collapse and reinvigorated it, adding many new and popular academic programs, and winning the confidence of the citizens of Pennsylvania and their governmental leaders. Atherton personally asked steel magnate Charles Schwab for a gift to build what is today Schwab Auditorium, and took a personal interest in its construction. His grave is located on the north side of the auditorium, along Pollock Road.