General James A. Beaver
Monument
General James A. Beaver, a native of Millerstown, Perry County, first won fame in the Civil War, where he ably commanded the 148th Pennsylvania Volunteers and lost a leg at the Battle of Reams Station.
He later practiced law in Bellefonte with his father-in-law Hugh McAllister, who was one of Penn State’s founders. Beaver shared McAllister’s interest in the college and served as president of its Board of Trustees, 1874-82 and 1898-1914.

While governor of Pennsylvania, 1887-91, he was instrumental in getting state funds to improve Penn State’s intercollegiate football field, which the students name Beaver Field in his honor, an honor that continues today in the form of Beaver Stadium.

He also was twice elected as a justice of the Pennsylvania Superior Court and was involved in banking, railroads, and coal mining. He died in 1914.

The commemorative tablet in stone is located at the southeast corner of the stadium.