Old Main Quarry
The depression in the earth on the southeast corner of Old Main lawn is the site of the limestone quarry from which stones were cut to build the first Old Main. Some of these blocks were re-used in construction of the current Old Main when it was built in 1930. The area, later landscaped as a natural bowl, was used as an open-air theatre for pageants, plays, and ceremonies.
MORE about Old Coaly, the mule who hauled blocks from the quarry