Stone House
Also known as Elm Cottage, this structure was built in 1880 as a faculty residence. In 1928, it became home to Penn State’s first women’s social club, Nita-Nee, which became Kappa Alpha Theta sorority in 1930, making Stone House the first sorority house on campus. It was used for other purposes after 1949 and razed in 1971. The tablet in stone marks the site of the house on the HUB lawn.
Above, photo taken from same angle as the archival photo of the house. The Hetzel Union Building (HUB) is in the background, and through the trees on the left, the Old Main bell tower is visible.