Penn State Intercom......May 9, 2002
Pollstar Magazine announced in its April 22 edition that The Bryce Jordan Center has been ranked ninth in concert tickets sold among all arenas in North America for the first quarter of 2002.
Pollstar Magazine, a national weekly publication for the concert touring industry, recognized The Bryce Jordan Center for selling 78,290 tickets between Jan. 1 and March 31 of this year. As the largest arena between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, The Bryce Jordan Center sold more concert tickets compared to most major markets such as Boston, Toronto, Los Angeles and even New York City and Madison Square Garden.
"The success of the Jordan Center is another example of the enormous economic development engine that Penn State is for the central Pennsylvania area," said Gary Schultz, senior vice president for finance and business, and treasurer at Penn State.
"The patrons to the Jordan Center are providing jobs not only at that facility, but they are providing jobs and bringing business to scores of hotels and restaurants in the community and many of these patrons are also shopping in area stores. Concert-goers are coming here from around Pennsylvania and in some cases from around the country to see these performers. It also dramatically enhances the quality of life here in central Pennsylvania, giving local residents the opportunity to attend world-class performances and national events that would not otherwise have a forum in this area."
Top-selling concerts during the first quarter at the Bryce Jordan Center included Billy Joel and Elton John, Jan. 16; Janet Jackson, Feb. 1; Linkin Park, Feb. 9; Weezer, Feb. 12; Neil Diamond, Feb. 26; Marvin Hamlisch, March 1; Harlem Globetrotters, March 4; and WWF RAW, March 25.
Following is the list of arena venues, locations and ticket sales for the first quarter of this year according to Pollstar:
1. First Union Center, Philadelphia, 154,717
2. Palace Of Auburn Hills, Auburn Hills, Mich., 151,819
3. Van Andel Arena, Grand Rapids, Mich., 95,321
4. Long Beach Arena, Long Beach, Calif., 91,288
5. Hartford Civic Center Coliseum, Hartford, Conn., 84,633
6. National Car Rental Center, Sunrise, Fla., 81,228
7. Jacksonville Memorial Coliseum, Jacksonville, Fla., 79,725
8. MCI Center, Washington, D.C., 78,682
9. Bryce Jordan Center, University Park, 78,290
10. Nationwide Arena, Columbus, Ohio, 71,258