Suggested Questions for Exit Interviews Suggested Questions for Exit Interviews with Faculty Denied Tenure or Advised Out
1) Explore reasons. Are there things that could have been done differently, such as better advice or more support along the way?
2) Did you receive any mentoring? If so, what type of mentoring and how effective was it? Did you take full advantage of the mentoring that was offered to you? Do you wish that you had received more mentoring than you did?
3) Did you do everything you could have done to bring concerns or difficulties you were having to the attention of those who might have been able to help you address them? If teaching was a concern, did you seek help from your colleagues, or from the Center for Excellence in Learning and Teaching, formerly known as the Instructional Development Program? If publication was an issue, did you seek advice from others in your field, and if so, were they helpful in giving it?
4) What advice would you have for other faculty members beginning on the tenure track?
5) Were the expectations for a positive tenure decision made clear to you, and were they the basis for final evaluation?
6) Did you meet your own expectations for yourself, and if not, why not? Do you feel we expected too much from you, and if so, in what areas?
7) How would you compare the level and number of assignments given to you in your time at Penn State--in such areas as service, teaching, and advising--to those of your department colleagues on the tenure track? To those of your colleagues already tenured?
8) How would you compare the level of support and opportunities given to you--e.g., in mentoring, research support, and collaborative opportunities--to those of your colleagues in your department and in your college on the tenure track? To those of your colleagues already tenured?
9) Overall, did you feel you were treated fairly by Penn State? If not, what should have been done differently?
10) What advice would you have for us to enable us to become a better institution?
Vice Provost for Academic Affairs Directory
201 Old Main
University Park, PA 16802
Phone: (814) 863-7494
Web page last modified September 19, 2013