UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — The College of Earth and Mineral Sciences’ (EMS) 2019 Graduates of Earth and Mineral Sciences (GEMS) Showcase will feature an early career panel with recent alumni. It will be held from 6:30 to 8:00 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 3, in 201 Westgate Building (Cybertorium) on Penn State's University Park campus. There also will be a reception before the event from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. and a networking session after the event. The event is free and open to the public.
The 2019 GEMS Showcase Early Career Panel will include panelists sharing academic and professional experiences and insights.
Lee Kump, the John Leone Dean in the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences, will give the welcome address and Tim Charatan, a senior in materials science and engineering and EMS Student Council president, will introduce the speakers and serve as the moderator.
- Tramond Baisden, 2013, 2015g GEOSC, production geologist, Shell Oil Company, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Sam Baker, 2017 MNGE, mining engineer, Rosebud Mining Company, Kittanning, Pennsylvania
- Zakariya Khayat, 2015, 2017g MATSE, metallurgical engineer, Corning Inc., Corning, New York
- Alex Tomoff, 2018 METEO, graduate student in atmospheric science, State University of New York at Albany
- Mackenzie Williams, 2019 METEO, rotational analyst, Direct Energy, Iselin, New Jersey
The annual speaker series is sponsored GEMS, the alumni society for the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences. The speaker series is intended to increase visibility and access to information on timely and relevant Earth and Mineral Sciences-related focus areas and topics affecting industry and public policy; encourage and educate students; and encourage collaboration across disciplines. The speaker series alternates between the GEMS Showcase, which features Penn State researchers, and the GEMS Industry Forum, which features Penn State alumni who are government and industry leaders.
For more information, visit https://www.ems.psu.edu/alumni/get-involved/gems-alumni-society/gems-speaker-series or contact Colleen Swetland at firstname.lastname@example.org.