UNIVERSITY PARK Pa. — Students can find activities and resources around campus to help de-stress leading up to and during finals week. The last day of classes at University Park for the 2018-2019 academic year is Friday, April 26, and finals week runs April 29 to May 3.
Check out some of the events, activities and opportunities, below:
- Wellness Suite Activities: The Wellness Suite will be hosting a Pilates class from 5:15 to 6:15 p.m. on April 25. No advanced registration is required, and all materials will be provided. The Wellness Suite is also open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday–Friday.
- Wellness Wednesdays: Join Healthworks and Healthy Penn State Ambassadors in the Wellness Suite for mental and digital unplugging. Students can visit the Wellness Suite from 4 to 4:45 p.m. on Wednesdays for a 45-minute meditation session on discovering calmness and positivity.
- Relaxation Room: Visit the Relaxation room located in the Wellness Suite from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday–Friday. The room features two biofeedback software programs, resources for breathing exercises to reduce your heart rate and stress level, coloring books, a zen sand garden, puzzles, light therapy boxes and a comfortable space to study or take a break. The room also provides a variety of relaxation, stress reduction, mindfulness and brain audio tracks available on two iPods.
- Caring Canines: Come and meet the furry friends of CAPS from noon to 3 p.m. on April 30 (rain date May 1) on the lawn alongside Bigler Road located by University Health Services (UHS). Plenty of dogs will be waiting to help students de-stress and play. To learn more, visit CAPS’ Facebook page.
- Attend a Life Hacks workshop to help alleviate the anxiety surrounding the unknown and new beginnings: All workshops are open to Penn State students and no appointment is necessary. Workshops are scheduled from 4 to 5 p.m. and take place in room 540 UHS.
- SUCCESS UNDER STRESS: Wisdom for Managing the Pressure – Tuesday, April 23
- Chat with a CAPS counselor about end-of-the-semester struggles at a CAPS Chat session: Until the final day of classes, students have the opportunity to speak with a CAPS counselor in a 30-minute session about topics ranging from stress-related and family issues to academic pressures. Students are seen on a first-come, first-served basis and sessions are free of charge with no appointment necessary. For more information on times and locations, visit the CAPS Chat website.
- Avoid the studying crash and stop by the center for some free snacks: The Center for Spiritual and Ethical Development will be offering breakfast, pizza and sandwiches for students throughout finals week. Students who are interested in helping the center help others, can sign up online. For addition information or questions, contact email@example.com.
- Breakfast: 10 a.m. on Monday, April 29
- Pizza Party: 5 p.m. on Tuesday, April 30
- Sandwiches: Noon on Wednesday, May 1
- Late Night in the Center: Students can visit the center during its extended hours on Thursday nights from 5 to 8 p.m., with access to the lounge space and various relaxing activities.
- SPA: The Student Programing Association (SPA) will be hosting SPA special events, SPA Edventures and other free events throughout the last week of classes. There will also be a noontime concert on Friday, April 26, in the HUB-Robeson Center.
- Quiet Study Rooms: The HUB will be offering 24/7 quiet study rooms for the entire week of finals for students to use.
Destress Fest events with Penn State Libraries: University Park libraries also will be hosting and providing plenty of options for students during their Destress Fest events, including snacks, drinks, puzzles, coffee, extended hours and more.
Counseling and Psychological Services, Campus Recreation, Health Promotion and Wellness, the HUB-Robeson Center, Student Activities, and the Center for Spiritual and Ethical Development are all units of Penn State Student Affairs. For more information on activities throughout the semester, visit studentaffairs.psu.edu or follow Penn State Student Affairs on social media @StudentLifePSU.