UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – New and returning students are invited to attend Fall Welcome Week with events taking place on the University Park campus beginning Thursday, Aug. 17.
From information stations, to the President’s New Student Convocation, to LateNight, Fall Welcome Week is full of programs designed to help students have a successful academic, social and personal transition to the University. Through Welcome Week, students will be able to establish new connections and healthy relationships with others, meet faculty and staff, learn more about community standards, and participate in events focused on diversity.
Events are developed by academic colleges and a number of departments on campus, including Student Orientation and Transition Programs, Residence Life, the Multicultural Resource Center and the University Libraries, to help students meet these goals. Both new and returning students are invited to attend events throughout the course of Welcome Week.
Programming kicks off at 9 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 17, with Residence Life hosting a movie under the stars in Pollock Quad. Additional Residence Life programs throughout the week include class schedule and downtown tours, where students can learn their way around campus and through the State College community, floor meetings and dinners, and yoga and Zumba classes.
This year’s Signature Events, which are required for new students, are:
President’s New Student Convocation – Saturday, Aug. 19, 7:45 p.m., Bryce Jordan Center
- Convocation marks the beginning of the new academic year and is the official welcome to the University academic community for members of the class of 2021.
President’s Welcome Reception – Saturday, Aug. 19, 9 p.m., HUB-Robeson Center
- Join President and Mrs. Barron in the HUB-Robeson Center for light refreshments at the conclusion of Convocation.
LateNight Penn State – Saturday, Aug. 19, 9 p.m., HUB-Robeson Center
- Performances by an acrobat duo, a hypnotist and a magician, and trivia night all await new students at LateNight. Free food and giveaways will also be available for students.
College Deans' Meetings – Sunday, Aug. 20, various times and locations
- Your College Dean's Meeting is the official welcome to your academic college. Students will meet college deans, faculty and staff to learn about academic advising, expectations, resources, and academic and co-curricular opportunities within their college.
Involvement Fair – Wednesday, Aug. 23, 11 a.m.-4 p.m., HUB Lawn
- Students can meet representatives of more than 1,000 clubs and organizations and find ways to get involved.
Nittany Block Party – Friday, Aug. 25, 5:30 p.m., Pollock Road, Outside the HUB-Robeson Center
- Enjoy student performances, free food, and headlining act KYLE.
LION Bash – Tuesday, Aug. 29, 6-10 p.m., Allen Street, Downtown State College
- Learn what the State College community has to offer, listen to music from student groups and local bands, and visit some of the great local businesses.
For a full schedule of events, visit welcomeweek.psu.edu. The Penn State Life app also provides a full schedule of Welcome Week events. To download the app, visit the Google Play or iTunes store and search “Penn State Life.” Within the app, search “Penn State Preface.”
Welcome Week is administered by the Office for Student Orientation and Transition Programs, a unit of Penn State Undergraduate Education and Penn State Student Affairs.