UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — Penn State Transportation Services and University Police have announced parking and traffic advisories for spring 2016 commencement ceremonies, to be held on campus from Friday, May 6, through Sunday, May 8.
Ceremonies at the Bryce Jordan Center
To manage the significant congestion expected around the Bryce Jordan Center, Medlar Field, Beaver Stadium, and University Drive during spring commencement weekend, traffic and parking will be managed by filling alternating lots for each commencement ceremony. Drivers will be directed to the appropriate lot by University Police and event parking staff based on the traffic and parking conditions at the time of their arrival. Please use caution while traveling through this area of campus and allow extra time to reach your destination.
General parking for Penn State spring commencement ceremonies being held at the Bryce Jordan Center will be available at one or more of the following parking areas, as directed by University Police and event parking staff:
Lot 44 — located east of the Bryce Jordan Center, and accessible from Porter Road (via Park Avenue or College Avenue) and Dauer Drive (via University Drive)
Stadium West — located west of Beaver Stadium, and accessible only from Park Avenue
Porter North — located north of Medlar Field at Lubrano Park, and accessible from Porter Road (via Park Avenue or College Avenue)
ADA parking will be available at the following Lot 44 and Stadium West areas:
- Northwest corner of Lot 44 near Bryce Jordan Center Gate B, across from the Penn State All-Sports Museum (accessible from intersection of Porter Road and Curtin Road)
- Section of Lot Orange L located between the Bryce Jordan Center and Lot 44 (accessible from Dauer Drive via University Drive)
- First three rows of parking in the southeast corner of Stadium West near Beaver Stadium, and the first four rows in the southwest corner of Stadium West near University Drive/Curtin Road intersection (all accessible only from Park Avenue)
To ensure the safety of all guests and to assist with traffic flow between each ceremony, drivers are discouraged from dropping off or picking up guests outside of the designated ADA parking areas. These areas are ADA accessible and located just a short distance from entrances to the Bryce Jordan Center. Curtin Road will also be closed to vehicle traffic between University Drive and the entrance to Lot 44 throughout most of the commencement ceremonies to allow safe pedestrian access between Stadium West and the Bryce Jordan Center.
Ceremonies at Eisenhower Auditorium
Visitors attending commencement ceremonies at Eisenhower Auditorium are directed to park at the adjacent Eisenhower Parking Deck, which is located on Eisenhower Road.
General and ADA parking will be available at each level of the Eisenhower Parking Deck, with elevator access located at the south corner.
With heavy traffic expected on the east side of campus throughout the day Saturday due to commencement ceremonies being held at the Bryce Jordan Center, those attending ceremonies at Eisenhower Auditorium are advised of the following travel recommendations:
- Drivers are urged to avoid the Park Avenue exits from Routes 220 and 322, as well as University Drive, and instead should use the Route 322 Business exits at the south and north ends of Atherton Street to travel to campus.
- From Atherton Street, drivers are encouraged to approach Eisenhower Auditorium from the west side of campus, using Park Avenue or Curtin Road to reach Shortlidge Road or Bigler Road, where vehicles will then travel south to Eisenhower Road to reach Eisenhower Auditorium and the Eisenhower Parking Deck.
Ceremony and reception at Pegula Ice Arena
With a reception to be held at Pegula Ice Arena following the College of Communication commencement ceremony at the Bryce Jordan Center on Saturday, May 7, College of Communications' graduates, families and guests are encouraged to park in the East Parking Deck, located on Bigler Road, just south of Park Avenue.
Leaving from this location following the reception will allow attendees to avoid congestion near the Jordan Center from other incoming commencement attendees, as well as from those attending the Penn State baseball game at Medlar Field at Lubrano Park.
ADA parking for the College of Communications' commencement ceremony and reception will be available at the section of Lot Yellow H at Shields Building, which is located on Curtin Road next to Pegula and across the street from the Jordan Center.
Maps and contact information
Click on the links below to view maps of the commencement parking areas:
Commencement parking for all ceremonies will be available at no charge, courtesy of Penn State Transportation Services.
If there are any questions, please contact the University Parking Office by phone at 814-865-1436 or by email at email@example.com. For up-to-date traffic and parking information during commencement weekend, follow @psutraffic and @psuparking on Twitter.