UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — The Paterno Fellows Program in the College of the Liberal Arts will hold its second annual Contemporary Issues Forum at 7 p.m. on March 28 in Foster Auditorium, 102 Paterno Library, at University Park. This year’s theme will be "Understanding THON: For Which Kids? Starting a Conversation."
THON, the largest student-run philanthropy in the world, raises money to fight pediatric cancer, and thousands of Penn State students participate each year. During the forum, a panel of students and faculty will take turns expressing their views on THON, and a discussion will follow.
The following students and faculty will participate:
- Daryl Cameron, assistant professor, psychology
- Panini Pandya, Penn State class of 2020, Paterno Fellow, international politics, Spanish, and history
- Emily Purnell, Penn State class of 2020, Paterno Fellow, Spanish, accounting, and master of accounting
- Darcy Rameker, director, Student Activities, Penn State Student Affairs
- Jack Shean, Penn State class of 2019, Paterno Fellow, history, political science, and philosophy
- Jadrian Wooten, assistant teaching professor, economics
The event will be moderated by Barry Director of the Paterno Fellows Program Catherine Wanner, professor of history, anthropology, and religious studies.
This event, which is co-sponsored by the College of the Liberal Arts, Rock Ethics Institute and University Libraries, is free and open to the public. All are invited to stay for a reception in Mann Assembly Room immediately following the presentation.
The Paterno Fellows Program is offered jointly by the College of the Liberal Arts and the Schreyer Honors College. The program is the pinnacle of honors education at Penn State and is designed to challenge students and to reward ability, creativity and commitment. As Paterno Fellows, Liberal Arts students must meet additional qualifications. They enrich their time at Penn State by completing a second major or an enhanced minor; studying ethics, leadership and global awareness; and partaking in study abroad and internship experiences.