Campus Life

Penn State offers resources to victims of apartment fire

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — A three-alarm fire Wednesday (April 20) in off-campus apartment building The Park along Blue Course Drive in Ferguson Township has displaced 48 students and many others who are non-student residents. There were no injuries reported. Penn State is working to help house and assist our students who need help with shelter, clothing, classes and other essential issues before the end of the spring semester.

How can I help?A fund has been established for victims of the fire. The Barnes and Noble Student Emergency Fund is in place and anyone wishing to donate can do so in person or online. More information can be found here: Dozens impacted by devastating fire; here’s how you can help.

Housing needsStaff members in Penn State Student Affairs office have been working since yesterday to reach out to the impacted students, all of whom are said to have shelter at the present time.  Students who were victims of the fire and who are in need of assistance for housing should contact Mark Rameker in Penn State’s Residence Life Office at 814-863-1710 to seek on-campus housing. Students should identify themselves as victims of the fire.  

Classes impactedStudent Affairs staff are reaching out to faculty to request that they take the circumstances of victims into account and possibly provide academic accommodations as necessary for the final two weeks of the semester. Victims of the fire who believe they may have an academic issue that should be addressed, can visit Student and Family Services in 120 Boucke Building to discuss their situation with a staff member there.

If students need verification/documentation of this crisis to send to professors they can call the Office of Student and Family Services at 814-863-4926.

Need to talk?Fires, or any type of disasters, are generally traumatic experiences for those involved. If students who were impacted by the fire need emotional support/crisis intervention now or over the next two weeks can call Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at 814-863-0395 and let those answering the phone know they were impacted by the fire. CAPS staff will work quickly to schedule an urgent appointment. CAPS is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. After these hours, students should call the CAN HELP phone and mobile crisis office at 1-800-643-5432.

University officials are still waiting for an official listing from the apartment complex of the students impacted. Students should feel free to reach out to university officials for assistance, since all identifying information has not yet been conveyed.

Penn State News will continue to publish information as more resources are identified and become available.

Non-students with housing needsAny non-student residents who have been impacted by the fire and need a place to live, should contact Housing Transitions at 814-237-5508 to discuss housing. 

Last Updated April 19, 2017