UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — A number of Penn State academic administrators, staff and students recently received the 2018 Way Paver Awards from the Council of College Multicultural Leadership.
The Way Paver Awards "honor those who have demonstrated extraordinary commitment to diversity and the creation of an inclusive community, positively enhanced student life and the climate throughout the University and local community, and who have motivated others through their leadership and impeccable character,” and have been given annually since 2011 by the Council of College Multicultural Leadership (CCML).
This year’s recipients include:
- Joyce Hopson-King, director, Diversity Enhancement Programs, College of Health and Human Development
- Earl Merritt, director, Office of Diversity and Inclusion, College of the Liberal Arts
- Thomas Poole, retired vice president for administration
- Gregory Kelly, senior associate dean for research, outreach, and technology, distinguished professor of science education, College of Education
- Gregory Jenkins, professor of meteorology, College of Earth and Mineral Sciences
- Diane Farnsworth, assistant director/counselor, Multicultural Resource Center
- Kevin Irick, founder and CEO, SiliconScapes
- Nicole Telfer, student in human development and family studies
- Jorge Zurita-Coronado, student in political science
The CCML consists of academic college multicultural directors and deans at University Park. Its members develop their respective unit strategic diversity plans, and assist in the implementation and review of the University's "Framework to Foster Diversity." This academic year, the co-chairs of CCML are Stephanie Danette Preston, assistant dean for graduate educational equity in the Graduate School; and James Guyton, coordinator of multicultural affairs, College of Earth and Mineral Sciences.
The 2018 awardees were honored during a special ceremony held April 11 at the Nittany Lion Inn.
More information, including a list of previous Way Paver Award winners, is available at http://sites.psu.edu/ccml/sample-page/info/way-paver-awards.